Miss Match
Fiona Riley
The Gravity Between Us
Kristen Zimmer

Ex-Wives of Dracula

Ex-Wives of Dracula - Georgette Kaplan If I'd just look at how it is written, this would have been a 5 stars.
The main characters and the dialogue are just great, the story is compelling.

This is a very original, different book. It's somehow vibrant with energy and youth, and it is multifaceted.

There were many moments where I found myself laughing because of the delightful wit and humour. The two girls really are fresh and funny.
Then there were really touching moments between them, even angsty, where I felt for them.
And there was a compelling horror story with the good, bad, monstruous, fanged vampires of old. This is no [b:Twilight|41865|Twilight (Twilight, #1)|Stephenie Meyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361039443s/41865.jpg|3212258], it's a bit [b:'Salem's Lot|11590|'Salem's Lot|Stephen King|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327891565s/11590.jpg|3048937].

The blending of all those elements is not so succesful in my opinion. Plus, there are things I really didn't like. And, I feel bad for how it finished.
I think I can't explain myself without spoilering.
But before doing it, let me say that a funny book and a nice romance doesn't blend with the horror vibe. Horror has elements that are the very opposite to romance ones. And that's the problem.

Heavy spoilers ahead.

One star goes because of drugs. Lucia offers Mindy drugs at a party and makes her take it, asking to trust her. She does, and I so didn't like it.

But then, this episode hints at how the book will finish. Lucia cannot be saved from being a monster and, to be together, she drags Mindy down with her in a hinted spiral of horror, violence and vampirism, while Mindy willingly accepts it.

This is commonplace in horror books. They usually don't end well. They finish in a disturbing way. This novel ends likewise, even if with a touch of sarcasm, that doesn't mitigate the matter.
The problem is that the reader is cuddled by romance, by the feelings for both the characters for most of the story. The characters are both good and sensitively sweet. Fun and romance hints at a happy end which doesn't come and is betrayed by the vampire story.

Is the plot and genre twist worth of the reader betrayal? Well, not for me.

I think drama would have been better here. When it became clear that Lucia could not be saved, I would have preferred sacrifice and death for one or both the characters rather than their fall from good persons to monsters.