Miss Match
Fiona Riley
The Gravity Between Us
Kristen Zimmer

Without a Front - The Warrior's Challenge

Without a Front - The Warrior's Challenge - Fletcher DeLancey I have been in love with Andira Tal from the moment I started to read The Caphenon, till the last page of Without a Front. And now I'm in love with Salomen Opah too.

This story is mainly about feelings and heroism, love and family.
There is this great love story between Tal and Salomen and everything rotates around this nucleus. We have insight of both the characters, their admirable strenght, their frailties (which contradiction is so endearing!) and we are lead to see how they can overcome together even the obstacles they can't overcome alone.
Their love sublimes in the supernatural and reaches the heights of a spiritual dimension, but there are also some good sex scenes. Most often it's touching and delicate.
We also are drawn in their families and dear ones personal stories to give us a complete picture of their feelings.

Aside from the love story there is a mistery part. A multifaced trap is set up to threaten Tal's political power and her life itself. We have answers to everything that have been set up in the first chapter. The enemies will have a face, eventually. And there is some good action, too.

I found this latter part just a little bit disappointing. It's entertaining , but maybe he plot is simpler than I had expected, the rhythm is not tight, if not for a few chapters, and everything was solved a little bit too quickly.
From just the adventure point of view, The Caphenon was better, I think.

But as always, we have to consider the author's purpose. She wanted to put the characters under a severe test. Her attention was to show us how they reacted emotionally under this menace, how strong they become helping each other, more than just entertaining us in a thriller mode. And this is masterfully accomplished. We can say this side of the book is somehow aimed to the love story.
The real value of the book is that I have been totally involved in the feelings: I suffered with them, I found relief when they won their battles and rejoiced in their happiness.

Reading all the three books has been indeed a long, satisfying ride!

This second chapter merges perfectly into the first one. As a reader I didn't appreciate the splitting of the novel in two books, even if it's understandable from the publisher's side to split an almost 800 pages story of their new (and I hope very prolific) author.

By the way do you realize that the dangerous assassin Periso is still out there, don't you?